Friday, May 20, 2011

Question from Rio - University study suggestions

I am 17 years old and starting to look around universities. Does anybody know if there is a course specific to the Tudor period, or 16th century in general? I have looked on the UCAS website to no avail and I would really love to study this as I have had such a strong interest all my life.

[We've had this question a few times before, but it never hurts to revisit it since programs have probably changed since the last time it came up. - Lara]


Guy said...

What country are you in?

kb said...

If you are looking on UCAS, I am guessing you are in the UK. You want to look for courses in 'early modern history'. There are several very competitive history courses available. One way to evaluate the programs available is to visit the universities's web sites and look at what the faculty are interested in. You'll want to see if there are more than 2, preferably 3 or more, faculty members who have published about the early modern period. Individual class offerings are sometimes labeled as 'Tudor-Stuart' which will take you from the late 1400's through the mid-1700's.

I can recommend University of Nottingham School of History. There are plenty of others. Look at Exeter, Canterbury and Warwick for sure.

Guy said...

University of Kent at Canterbury do master degrees in Tudor History, I think, so it's worth looking at.

kb said...

When I said Canterbury, I meant what Guy said - University of Kent at Canterbury.

Rio said...

Thank you so much for your responses, they have been really helpful! I'll do some research and will let you know where I apply. Rio