Tuesday, February 04, 2020

Question from Veaj - Tissue in clothing

Hi there, when they refer to tissue ie in dresses what are they referring to? That is, what sort of material. Thanks

1 comment:

Lara said...

\You might want to take a look through Drea Leed's Elizabethan Costuming page: http://www.elizabethancostume.net/ which is full of resources, especially Queen Elizabeth's Wardrobe Uploaded: http://www.elizabethancostume.net/cyte/ElizabethI which has many entries for 'tissue' and its various spellings. I had always pictured it as a fine (like gauze) fabric, but after looking through the wardrobe listings, I think it might be more general of a term than I originally thought.